Friday, August 24, 2012

Getting Started...Again.

We were called away on a sudden trip to Northern Maine two weeks ago. I know, I know: it's a rough life, but someone has to live it! We had been planning a trip to visit my husband's family this fall, but sometimes life, or in this case, death, can make us change plans very quickly. We were able to vacation our way home by way of the Maine Coast, which made it fun for the kids! We all were ready to come home after 12 days, but we could have stayed there forever! :)

 Mt Katahdin from Rt 11 outside of Patten, Maine

all the way to Bailey Island! 


Then it was time to head home to real life and responsibilities...boo hoo.

We had started our school year on Monday, August 6, just to get a jump on it. Then the call came. And two days after we started school, we had to leave. For two weeks. And now, it'll be the first day all over again. I had hoped to get some review work and some schedules set before our trip...but no.

We did make some serious changes to our routines this year. First of all, I split the kids up from one common table to two desks back to back. I'm hoping that our daughter will find that space to allow her to go forward on her own work, at her own pace, versus waiting for her brother. They aren't the same children. They aren't in the same grade. And they don't learn in the same ways. So...separate desks might encourage them. It will certainly help me. :)

Second, we actually wrote out the school schedule for each week. I am NOT a planner. I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants (or skirt) kind of mom. This will be the biggest challenge for me- sticking to it. But, our daughter wants her assignments written out so that she can check mark them off. Our son, on the other hand, could care less. He just goes with the flow. As long as the flow isn't too fast :)

Third, we have added some extra curricular activities that involve friends (Yay!!) into their learning this year. A fantastic Christian homeschool co-op where they can develop friendships and learn about American Government (taught my moi) and PE is on the schedule for Tuesdays. Teen Bible Study classes (with a lot of the same kids from the co-op) on Thursdays. And last, but not least, a group Spanish 'class' that will be held in a friend's home on Mondays.

I think this will be a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment