Monday, March 7, 2011

Making Cheese

We are trying to become more and more self-sufficient. There are a few things that have stood in our way of that goal. The most annoying one is cheese. Cheese just kind of stands there in the grocery store mocking me, taunting me. I can hear it say, "Na, na, na... you can't make me". THEN, it sticks it's tongue out at me. It's not a pretty thing. I stand there, head down, shoulders slumped, and say, "You are right. I can't make you." And then I pick up an over-priced package of cheese and slink off. AND IT GLOATS!

So, I took the bull by the horns, so to speak, and became determined to make cheese. I told myself, "Self, it can't be that tough. People have been doing it for thousands of years without such modern equipment as a thermometer or rennet tablets." By the way, you might not want to know where rennet comes from. Turned my tummy a little, but I pressed on.  I found a mozzarella recipe. I got my milk. I got my stainless steel pot, rennet, citric acid (from a dear friend), thermometer, and I prayed.

I absolutely have to tell you that it was so much fun. Once I realized I was doing it right, I just couldn't stop giggling. Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who has asbestos hands and he could help me with those 145* curds. My hands were red and swollen at the end of it, but, by golly, we had mozzarella cheese!

I will be purchasing a new digital camera as soon as I can. I know most people do better with a visual aid. However, let me just tell you: It can be done. It was smooth and creamy (a little too salty, but we rinsed it off) and oh, so good!

My advice to you: try something new. It might work, it might not. If it doesn't work, try again. Don't quit or give up just because of one "non-success"!

I'll post the recipe I used as soon as I can find it again...

2 comments: